Saturday, January 4, 2014

word vomit

This is something I know we are all guilty of.. I call it word vomit.. you open your mouth and things just spill out- sometimes things you don't mean- sometimes things that are insensitive and sometimes some people don't even know that they are doing it! I'm guilty of it- I'm sure everyone is in some way. My worst vomits are when I'm angry or yelling at the boys for something. When I'm yelling at the boys sometimes my mother comes out.. yes, my mom.. I say things that she said when we were kids that I swore I'd never say to my kids- I immediately try to retract them, but once you've vomited words it's very hard to clean them up.. Here's an example I used to hate when I was a kid and my mom would say "I know you're smarter than that".. so last week N was washing dishes and dumped an entire pot of water all over the floor.. what did I say "Seriously, you're smarter than that" ... yes- vomited my mom out! Or this one time I referred to a friend's husband as a stripper.. yes, I talked without thinking- or word vomited.. (you'd have to hear the whole story to understand I DO NOT go around calling people strippers, EVER.. it was a very contextual thing. Promise! Sometimes people word vomit at me and I used to sit there and absorb it and think wow that was insensitive but as I've grown older, I mean up, I've learned that sometimes they don't mean it to be insensitive. Sometimes it is just innate curiosity. (Which I used to consider nosiness). For example when people find out your kids are adopted- they want to know why did you adopt. For those of us who have adopted sometimes this comes off kinda nosy.. I want to reply- well why did you breed? BUT I understand that people are curious so I'll tell them that I have a medical condition that wouldn't allow me to get pregnant. When they meet my boys, if they know they are adopted they'll say "are they brothers?" duh- I'm their mom, hubby is their dad so yes.. in any context they would be brothers. I know they want to know if they are biological brothers which they are so I will explain, but here's the kicker- someone always always asks me if they have the same biological fathers.. Since I didn't know their birth mom I have no idea- only she does. All that matters to me is that they are my sons. Some of those questions aren't meant to shock, or hurt but sometimes there is a little sting to them- like when you are in a social situation and everyone is asking how big each other's babies were when they were born- when they get to me I'm like N was 40lbs 40 inches and T was 35 inches and 20lbs.. they're always like "what?" and they look confused, but their birthweight isn't listed on their birth certificates and since they were adopted when they were toddlers/preschoolers I have no idea how big they were at birth. I try to avoid those conversations though because all of a sudden the spotlight shifts to me and all of the vomit-questions come out. Don't get me wrong- I'm not ashamed that my boys are adopted, not at all. I used to be ashamed that my body didn't function like it was designed to, but I'm over that. It's just once people find out that they are that's when the questions start, and sometimes I just don't want to explain it all.. lol. What's the best way to clean up word vomit? I would say not to vomit at all- and I'm working hard on controlling mine- next time N spills an entire pot of water on the floor maybe I'll be witty and say something like "Yay you're mopping!!" or something equally as funny (maybe to me- he won't appreciate my humor) Since I start working out next week I'm sure though that I'm bound to word vomit something at least once a day.. but I'm going to try not to! Wish me Luck~

No comments:

Post a Comment