Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Being a list maker....

One of my quirkiest personality traits is that I make lists.. lots of lists: Grocery lists (most people do), To do lists (again most people do), Packing lists (you've done this one too haven't you?) Guest lists, lists for places I'm going when I go shopping, the list of my lists could go on and on. I write lists on regular paper, pretty note pads, post it notes (my favorite). BUT the lists that I am most proud of come when I travel. Yes I just admitted I am proud of my lists and I'll tell you why in a minute!! When I travel I create a packing list for myself and then one for each of my kids. My hubby is on his own (he won't let me pack for him and his packing is just throwing stuff into a backpack or duffle- totally not what I would do but somehow this works for him) I also create a hygiene bag packing list, a things to do list, a list of things to keep kids/self entertained during travel, a list of things to pack with the dogs for the kennel, and a list of things to do in the house before we leave. Then each of those lists are numbered and a "Master List" is created. The lists that are mine only are stapled to the Master list and I give the boys each their lists and they bring me the items listed. It works out great for me because I know everything gets packed and that I've not forgotten anything (The entire time the hubs is standing there just watching me shaking his head) If I don't make a list I have an anxiety attack about not having a list. If I forget my list for groceries and go into the store I can't seem to figure out what I am supposed to be getting.. I get the same things most weeks so I don't know why my brain shuts down about a list. But I like my lists. Not only do they tell me what I want/need but they let other people know as well. The reason I wrote about lists today is for the last couple of years I've been finding that my youngest son, T, has become a list maker! He writes lists and does what I do- Sticks them where he will see them when he needs them. He usually tapes them to the inside of my front door. Sometimes he writes a note to remind himself to pack a lunch, or to remind himself to do something (there used to be post it notes on the bathroom mirror saying brush teeth put on deodorant wash face. He even makes lists to tell himself where he left something.. lol
That note is one of my favorites, because not only did he write himself a note about where his shoes were (they had been washed) but he wrote it on one of my menu planning pages! I should apologize to his future wife.. I'm sorry he's so OCD.. It's my fault- he's been making lists since he could write- He once wrote a list about what he wanted to see at the zoo. When I ask him why he makes lists his answer is spot on what I tell people, "It makes everything easier". And they do! I know what needs to happen what I need etc as soon as I look at one of my lists! Do you make lists? I read a book once that was supposed to help you not procrastinate as much and one of the first things they said was to make lists for the things you need to do and then make a master list of your lists- I was so excited that I stopped reading the book to make my lists!! I should probably write on one of my lists to finish that book! Ha! Now I must go make my today's To-Do list!! :) Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment