Monday, January 13, 2014

Spelling Nazis

Okay people I hope this doesn't offend anyone.. but I have to get it off my chest!!! Social media is the worst thing to EVER happen to spelling! Sometimes I cringe when scrolling through Facebook because I see these crazy little spelling errors that completely change the context of what someone is saying, and the bad thing is they don't even know it!! So where did this all start? I think it started with the pager.. some of you may be too young to know what a pager is, so here's what they looked like:
How a pager worked was someone called it and input the number they wanted you to call back. But sometimes people didn't want you to call back or you weren't able to call back- so a code system evolved- 143 meant I love you, friends would assign themselves a numerical code so if you wanted to tell your love that you loved them you would page them your code followed by * and the code 143. Anyway- after the pager evolved a little they got bigger screens and you could add more info to them- you could repeatedly push a number until you got the correct letter, similar to old cell phones where the number 2 stood for ABC and of course 2. But you only had a certain number of characters to use so people began creating word "shortcuts" which was actually just bad spelling. Cell phones and texting just added to the spelling debacle.. it is just easier to text someone OMW instead of On My Way (especially those people who text and drive!) Or OMG instead of Oh My Gosh.. I'm guilty of using the acronyms too because it does make it faster, and frankly they've become part of my language (which I find extremely disheartening). But on Facebook when I'm scrolling through posts and I see something crazy- usually involving the Big Two I cringe. What is the Big Two you're probably asking.. the Big Two that I see the MOST errors with every day are Your, You're and Their, There, They're.. when people use them wrong in a sentence it COMPLETELY changes the meaning.. for example: You're mother is their aunt sue! This one makes me say out loud so instead of a friend telling me that my mom is somewhere, I'm now the mother and our family just became incestuous.. and my name is Sue? How it should have been written is "Your mother is there Aunt Sue!!" Meaning that Sue's mom was somewhere and the person writing is Sue's niece or nephew. I get sometimes you are typing in a hurry and you misspell a word- sometimes you catch it and sometimes you don't. Autocorrect is great at changing what you say- there are some great websites for "Autocorrect Fails" my favorite is when someone texted about their pen running out of ink.. the text that they sent said "My penis out!" instead of "My Pen is out" oops! Now someone thinks that someone else is showing their business somewhere.. probably at school! Hopefully no teachers saw that! I know that as a society we are becoming more and more dependent on technology, but technology isn't always your friend. I have an iPhone and Siri is a lifesaver sometimes, but when I need her to text someone she usually causes an epic failure.. sometimes I am doing something where I can't read what she wrote for me and I send it, and then when I get to read it, I think to myself (sometimes out loud) what the heck? For example, I was texting my sister before Christmas about her taking my gifts to my Mom & Stepdad and whether or not there was a Cheesecake Factory near my Dad & Stepmom and this is what Siri thought I said:
I promise you I know I have an accent, but I know I didn't ever say the word Houston in that conversation! If I hadn't looked and had just sent that text my sister would have thought I had lost my mind! So the moral of the story is to look at what you type before you hit enter or send and make sure that you've spelled words correctly- it could be the difference between you're death and your death... <3 PS.. I just thought of another big time wrong word used word! Brake and Break!! I hope that I never BREAK hard when I'm driving. or that I need BRAKE your dishes.. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment