Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The sweetest story.. (you might need tissues)

I want to tell you an incredible story- one that had I not known those involved, I might have thought was the object of someone’s imagination.

Not long after moving to New York, I met with a young lady about my business. She was interested in possibly starting one of her own so we met at a coffee chain to discuss the business and what it had to offer. I took her with me to see me work so that she could solidify her decision. In the end she decided my business wasn’t for her, but we kept in touch, mostly through Facebook. On the times that we had spent together in person, she shared with me a story that broke my heart. She told me that she had had a baby but that he was born with a condition called Trisomy 18 and lived for just 132 days. When she talked about her baby she got this amazing glow about her and I felt her pride for her son. When I got home that night I told my husband about her and her baby and I cried. No one should have to go through something like losing a child and my heart broke for her and her then boyfriend (the baby’s father).

During the rest of my time in New York we kept in touch mostly on Facebook, this girl was busy going to college, working and just being a young woman. I watched through the window of my computer as she and her boyfriend became engaged, and then as they married and started their life as husband and wife. I watched her go through the trials of trying to start a family and then deciding to “take some time off” during which she found out she was expecting again. I excitedly watched a video that she posted at her sons gravesite announcing that he was going to be a big brother and I cried like a baby out of excitement for her. I watched how terrified she was whether or not everything would go well with this pregnancy and anxiously awaited the days she went to the doctor when she would share her clean bills of health for both her and the baby. I was overjoyed when she found out that she was having a girl. Watching her go through everything she was going through made me wish that I was still in New York and that I could go over to her house and just hold her hand and tell her everything was going to be okay.

All the while I have known her, she has always fought to keep the memory of her son alive, not only for her, but also for everyone who knows her. This past Sunday night, she wrote on Facebook that 7 years ago on that date, she went into labor with her son. And that 7 years ago Monday, he was born, and she posted his birth stats and a picture of the most adorable boy with the biggest sweetest eyes! I posted Happy Birthday to him on the post and had a little twinge in my heart for her. Birthdays are supposed to be happy days, and I know she feels happy when she remembers him but that happy has to always be followed with the sad that he’s not here. When I woke up on Monday morning, the first thing that I see on Facebook is a picture of my friend in the hospital in labor. At first I thought it was from when she was in labor with her son, but wasn’t sure so I clicked on her profile and the post prior to that picture said “MY WATER JUST BROKE”… I was so excited/nervous/scared/happy/anxious for her that when I went to the gym that morning I checked my Facebook acct while on water breaks! I told other people at the gym her story. She had gone into labor on her son’s birthday!!
All day long I stalked her page, just waiting for an update, waiting to know that everything had gone well, that her daughter had made it safely into the world, but knowing that everything HAD to be okay, because after all this little sister has a big brother who is an angel. The day seemed to go so slow waiting for an update. Had one of her friends that was a amazing delivering updates as she got them from the husband. And then.. there it was a picture of a beautiful baby girl with the words I had waited all day to see! She had not only gone into labor, but had given birth on the same day 7 years apart. I feel that this was something that happened so that this day isn’t a day that is filled with bittersweet happiness, but so that it’s filled with immense happiness and joy as they not only celebrate the life that their daughter has, but the life that their son had as well.

I was so happy for this couple and their journey to parenthood again that I sobbed with excitement, relief, and pure joy for their newest member of their family. I am so grateful that I met this beautiful young lady and got to witness such an amazing story. I can’t wait to watch this baby girl blossom into a little girl. She’s going to be one lucky lady to have the mother she does.

Welcome to the World Arabelle Eve & Happy Birthday Dominic Matthew <3

No comments:

Post a Comment