Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Customer Service

Okay so it's not a secret that I run a business. In my business I strive to provide my customers with good (if not excellent) customer service. I go out of my way most of the time to ensure they are happy.
BUT lately I have had a string of bad customer service situations with other businesses. When you provide me with less than good service, I tend not to recommend you to my friends, customers and general public. When you provide me with horrible service I tend to make sure everyone knows how bad it was. Not to try to hurt your business, but rather to help my friends from having the same experience.
I always try to give the benefit of the doubt- is there a possible reason why your service is terrible? If its justifiable or understandable then I don't get upset, but when there is NO GOOD REASON, then I of course get upset. If you lie to me, that's even worse. It's better to tell the truth in all situations. Case in point: Not long after moving to Louisiana I took my car to the dealership to get an oil change. I got there and they said it would be about 45 minutes- no problem, settled into the waiting area with my son and we waited. About 20 minutes go by and the service advisor comes in, my first thought was "Wow, that's awesome!!" thinking they were done- but he came in to tell me that when they went to torque my oil plug open that the threads came out of the oil pan.. say what? He had a quote for a new oil pan in hand and told me I couldn't leave with my car.. say what again? He told me to call a rental agency and get a rental and that my car would be ready in 2-3 days if I could just sign this page- the estimate for the new oil pan.. one that they just broke? Hold up- you just broke my car and want me to pay to fix it? I think at that moment I lost my ever loving mind. See I have religiously maintained my 10 year old car at the dealer only. I have always had a great relationship with the service department in each of the places I've lived since buying this car. And I've NEVER heard of oil plug threads coming out of the oil pan.. So I told him to hold up- I want my car on the lift and I want you to show me what is wrong with it- he looked at me in shock and disbelief.. see, my dad is a mechanic, our first dealership where we bought the car used to put it on the lift and show you the underside if there was a problem, come to think of it, they all have.. He told me that safety rules prohibit that.. I said you better go ask someone else- and I walked outside and called my dealer in New York- they said that the stripped oil pans are a result of not using a standard wrench to remove the plug but rather using a torque wrench- which at this point the new dealership was saying they didn't use.. (LIE). So the service advisor went and got the service manager- and at this point I was quite loud and crying (crying because I was angry) and I told him to put my car on the lift and show me what was wrong with it. I also told him that I've never been told I had to get a rental car when getting my car fixed at any other dealership and that I've always been given a loaner. He told me that they charge people for their loaners.. SERIOUSLY?? I told him that was NOT acceptable. I drove an hour to get to this dealership (closest to me) so that I could get my car into a dealership service not just a walmart oil change. At this point I was ready to just get my car towed home I was that upset. Finally he came in and told me that he'd "Give" me a loaner car but that I'd have to pay to get the oil pan fixed. I said fine- Fix it- 3 days later when they called to say it was ready when i got there the FIRST thing I did was lay on my back and crawl under my car to ensure that the oil pan on my car was indeed new. As I paid, the lady in the cash cage asked to schedule my next appointment and I said, "I'm sorry I won't be back. The customer service here is lacking in so many ways in the service department" She apologized but didn't look surprised. What would they have had to do to make me believe they cared bout customer service? Possibly owned up to the fact that they broke the oil pan and they replaced it free of charge? Maybe just be nicer about the whole situation instead of acting like I broke my car. Who knows. All I know is that I'm due for another oil change here soon and I am looking for a new dealership to go to!

Have you ever had horrible Customer Service?? What happened?? How'd it resolve??
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment